The first important commission for modernisme master Antoni Gaudí was a summer house for the Vicens family completed between 1883 and 1885 in an area of the city that was open fields at that time.
With Oriental influences and a polychromatic mixture of ceramic tiles, rubble stone and brickwork the external façade of the house is joyous celebration of ornament and detail. A series of beautifully restored public and private rooms provide a distinct and moving impression of the Vicens family and their domestic life.
The house was extended in the early 20th C and is only open to the public since November last year with the original Gaudí building providing the basis for the museological restoration.
June 05, 2020